In the Name of Allaah, the All Merciful, the Ever Merciful…
As reported by Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) and collected in the most authentic Hadeeth sources like al-Bukhaaree and Muslim, the Prophet (may Allaah raise his rank and grant him peace) forbade believing women from traveling without a mahram.
A mahram is a woman’s close male family member, like her father, grandfather, son, grandson, brother, or uncle.
Traveling means to leave one’s city, by a distance considered according to local customs to be a journey, not just normal daily movement around and outside of the borders of one’s city.
In the West, a woman often accepts Islaam and thereafter faces the difficulty of being the only Muslim in her family. She may ask: How am I to implement this hadeeth? Since my immediate male relatives are disqualified from being my walee (guardian) in a marriage contract, are they also disqualified from being my mahram during a journey?
This issue was recently addressed by Shaykh Muhammad ‘Umar Baazmool (may Allaah preserve him), Professor of Higher Studies at Umm al-Qura University in Makkah. He stated: Continue reading
- The Friday Khutbah: Three Neglected Sunnahs for the Imaam
- How Many Rak’ahs Did the Salaf Pray for Taraaweeh?
- Recources for Monthly Lessons at Masjid as-Sahabah (Columbus, OH)
- 16 False Narrations About Wearing Turbans (Imaamahs) [Updated]
- Another Fabricated Hadeeth from Anjem Choudary: “Whoever Insults a Prophet, Kill Him!”
- A Biography of Shaykh Muhammad Amaan Al-Jaamee
- Speak the Truth or Stay Home [Shaykh Muhammad Amaan al-Jaamee]
- Do not Refer to Deviant Groups Using Their Chosen Names of Self-Praise
- Qassim University Accepts 149 International Students (2014-2015)
- Links to 25 Universities in Saudi Arabia
- Arabic Language Scholarships Available at King Saud University in Riyadh (2015-2016)
- List of Accepted Students at Imam University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (1435-1436)
- List of Accepted Students at the Islamic University of Al-Madeenah 1435-1436 [2014-2015]
- Shaykh Ibn Baaz: How to Give Da’wah to Those Affected By Specific Misguidance
- Shaykh Fowzaan on Frauds Who Pretend to Have Islamic Knowledge
- Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen: Anyone Who Claims to Know When the End of the World Will Occur is a Disbeliever
- A Hadeeth Which Defines When the End of the World Happens? [The World Will Only Exist for 7000 Years?]
- But We Need a New Approach in Today’s Dawah! [Shaykh Ibn Baaz Responds]
- Nutmeg, the Well Known Spice, is an Intoxicant (Khamr)
- Baseless Hadeeth: “Take Half of Your Religion From ‘Aa’ishah”
- Calling to Good Manners Firstly is Contradictory to the Prophetic Dawah Method [Shaykh Saalih al-Fowzaan]
- 15 Points of Advice for Those Intending to Perform ‘Umrah
- Wiping over Headwear (Turbans, Caps, Khimaars) for Wudhoo’
- Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen on Removing Part of the Footwear and then Continuing to Wipe Over it
- Shaykh Saalih al-Fowzaan on the Claim that Allaah Cannot Do All Things
- How to Pray in a Chair When Needed [Shaykh Saalih al-Fowzaan]
- People of the Sunnah are Humble and Clear About Their Sources
- An Important Principle of Tafseer Repels Misunderstandings About Quranic Passages
- Shaykh Saalih al-Fowzaan on Statements of Yasir Qadhi
- Menstrual Cycle Starts After Beginning an ‘Umrah – What to do
- Tafseer Benefits: The Scholars are Authority Figures
- Once they replace our scholars, where will they take us?
- Scholarship Students in Saudi Arabia Should Reflect
- The Five Basic Human Rights (Or Essentials) Islaam Safeguards and Honors